Friday, April 20, 2007

Problems so far

Who knows, really, why I feel compelled to grow stuff. It has become almost an addiction, if one can be so addicted. I love the dirt, I love the smell of manure, I get thrilled beyond measure to see a new seed sprout, or to see that first blossom on a tomato (which, by the way, my cherry tomato has 3 blossoms).

Right now everything seems to be doing fairly well. I have an abundance of bees in my yard, so I don't think I have to worry about pollination. I have ladybugs (I've even trained the neighbor children to bring me ladybugs). The only problems I have so far are the beetles that seem to love my eggplants and the grass that loves to grow in my garden. Obviously, the grass isn't really a problem, because I love stooping and pulling it out right now (I may change my mind before much longer, who knows). The beetles that are eating my eggplants are another story entirely.

Obviously, I have no desire to put an pesticides on my beautiful garden, but I have yet to figure out how to keep the beetles off my precious eggplants. So far, the thing that seems to have worked best is the eggplant planted next to a hot pepper and a tomato. For some reason, this one has not been harmed by the leaf eaters. Also, the eggplants that are right next to the dying plants (had a frost a few weeks ago that killed nearly everything), are doing fairly well too. My mom thinks that the bugs are going for the dying plants and leaving the healthy ones--at least for the time being. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and I'll be happy to try anything that is not harmful to my little eco-system.

No comments:

Shiny Stat Reports

FreePoverty