Monday, April 16, 2007

My Garden

Being my first post for this particular blog, I am going to just start off by describing my garden, my gardening habits and my general love of all that is green and growing (minus poison ivy/oak/sumac, or anything else I'm deathly allergic to).

I live in MS where the sun is quite hot for most of the year. We get a bit of cold from mid-Nov. to mid-Feb. or early March. Because of this, I am able to plant a lot sooner than most people I read about and I try to take advantange of this additional growing season the best I can.

In the beginning, I grew mostly in containers (well, all in containers), but I have now branched out to a full-fledged garden (tilled and everything)! My garden this year is going on its 3rd or 4th week of growth, but I've had major set-backs over the past 10 days or so. It went from 85 degrees during the day to about 4 days of only a little over freezing during the day and freezing for real over night. Last weekend I lost all of my tomatoes, a pepper plant, 12 eggplants, 3 watermellons, and about a gazillion cucumbers. I've replanted seeds where I could and replanted seedlings everywhere else. I can say though that this lost was hard on me and I cried for the first day.

I suppose a list of things growing is in order, though I promise this won't be complete because I find myself adding stuff nearly daily and intend to add more as time goes on, just to see what I am good at growing.

The veggie garden itself has:

Garlic
Tomatoes
Bell peppers
Sweet banana peppers
Hot banana peppers
Eggplant
Cucumbers
Zuccini
Yellow squash (summer)
Okra
Watermelon
Cantelope
Peppermint
Spearmint
Thyme
Oregano
Parsley
Basil
Lavendar
Bee's Balm
Chives
Purple onions
Sunflowers

Um...I am pretty sure there are about 14 more things, but I cannot think of them right now. I have things to tend to in the yard, so this is all for my first entry. I hope to update this a lot and intend to post pictures of my progress.

And, yes, this is all grown chemical free, so if you have advice or questions, please PLEASE share. I love to learn new things and ways to help my plants live and grow.

No comments:

Shiny Stat Reports

FreePoverty